Sunshine quilt

Sunshine quilt

Saturday 7 December 2013

Quilt-as-you-go for Christmas





I was stuck for Christmas present ideas for my godmother - she is nearly 100 now and very difficult to buy for. In desperation I decided to try making her something. I've recently come across Craftsy - how could I miss it - it's one of those Google Ads that pops up next to every email I write - and despite its rather aggressive advertising I love it. This is based on the quilt-as-you-go technique demonstrated by Tara Rebman in this class. What I like best is there is not much planning and cutting, you just collect your fabrics together and go. The technique hides all the loose ends or not so neat bits and its very quick too.

I wanted a Christmassy feel so went for greens and reds to surround the sweet little robin. You can find him here along with a free pattern for a very pretty cushion cover. There is one fabric I really shouldn't have chosen but it was so Christmassy I couldn't resist. Can you see which one? It's the little bobble hats and mittens at the bottom which really doesn't match the green and red theme of the rest of the fabrics. My particular favourite fabric is the one directly above the robin which I think looks like mistletoe. I'm not sure if that's what it's meant to be. I've tried to find the name of the fabric - I've seen it in two or three shops - but the piece I've got has no selvedge left.

I also resurrected from my memories of school sewing classes how to make bias binding - previously I've only done straight stuff for quilts. All in all it worked a lot better than I expected - and the little robin will be winging his way to Harrogate on Monday.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!