Sunshine quilt

Sunshine quilt

Friday 4 July 2014

Scrappy quilt

For a long time now I have had a growing scrap box - almost too full to get the lid on! So I decided I needed to use this up. My first plan was to get some boxes to sort scraps into colours. And then I had to find some inspiration. As usual I turned to one of my favourite designers, Lynne Edwards and her patterns. In this book Stash Buster Quilts there is an intriguing pattern for using up small scraps in on-point squares - but it is pieced in four quarters and then joined together round the middle square. Here is my first quarter



You sort the scraps into colour teams and then follow her pattern for sewing them together. At the moment it looks a bit of a muddle but I am sure it will be clearer when I have finished all four pieces and sewn them together. I think I made a slight mistake choosing purple and blue to go so close together - but these are the colours I've got most of. I keep being tempted to cut into new fabric - but I have kept this to a minimum as I really want to use up my scraps rather than create a lot more new ones!

So far it has been good fun. My piecing accuracy leaves a lot to be desired but I don't think that spoils the overall effect.

I will keep you posted as it grows though I need to take a break from it and make some more cherries as I have run out of soothing blanket stitch for the evening - see here

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!