You may remember I was waiting for supplies and time to sandwich up my colourful pinwheel quilt. I've been busy at work recently (which is a good thing since I run my own business!) so I had been waiting for a few free hours to get this big job done. Well the time I had identified came - but I started later than I wanted and it was a really hot and humid day. Doing the quilt sandwich was trouble from start to finish. I did actually achieve it in the end - and you can see I am starting the laborious process of quilting in the ditch here.
The whole process has been fraught with difficulty. Normally I manage very well using 505 basting spray and spreading out my layers on a big piece of floor. I don't know whether it was because the weather was hot, but the spray seemed to stick too firmly and then I had massive wrinkles right in the middle of this massive quilt. So I kept having to peel it back and smooth it down until I thought the wadding was sure to disintegrate.
I persevered and finally got it smooth. It's not the best job I've done but it's good enough.
And then I decided to quilt between the pinwheel squares without marking my lines. You would have thought I could manage to go between 2 points about 6 inches apart in a straight line - but OH NO. So I had to unpick a whole long row of quilting. Anyone who worried about quilt stitching coming undone need not have done. It took me ages to get all those stitches out. It's finally under the machine and coming together. It started off looking like a floppy mess, but as I am getting the (many) rows of quilting in it is starting to behave itself. I will show you the outcome in a few days (I hope)