Sunday, 10 August 2014
Scrappy quilt - first stage finish
This is the completed first stage of my truly scrappy quilt. You saw the first quarter of it here - we thought it looked a bit like a delta wing plane - but now it has all four quarters in place and as I thought the pattern has emerged much more clearly. I am pleasantly surprised by how it has turned out. As you can imagine the piecing was a bit tedious. I am convinced quilting is good exercise as I had to get up to my ironing board so many times it was like a workout. Initially I worried about the inaccuracy of the piecing. I found it was almost impossible to get perfectly accurate joins with rows of 21 squares at the longest point especially because there was such a wide variety of fabrics in terms of stretch. However once I got into it I realised the main thing was the overall effect which is not troubled by any dodgy joins!
What I love, and I hope you can see is that I really have raided my scrap bins. I haven't cut into new fabrics and you can see there is real mix of fabrics. I had to have a pretty wide interpretation of the 'light' team as otherwise I would not have had enough but I like the mixture of fabrics a lot. I also like how each one reminds me of where and why I bought/acquired it. For example the blue/white, pink/white dots were a gift from my daughter, the bottom middle dark pink was from my mug rug partner in Holland - I could go on for hours ....
All that remains now is to add the borders and quilt. All in all a successful project so far - all the better for the fact that I did not have high expectations of this one. Hope you like it!