Sunshine quilt

Sunshine quilt

Monday 21 April 2014

A few of my favourite things - and a long overdue ta-dah

Well I've finally finished the orange quilt. It's taken 18 months - 18 months of being put down and picked up, waiting for fabric in the post , buying wadding, running out of thread etc. But now it's done. The photos don't do it justice and I will try to get my husband to take some better ones - here it is


Can you see the bottom of a doggy quilt model in this photo? He was so flattered to be asked to be in the first picture he wouldn't move out of the way. And here is another photo - these are the favourite things....


Wilfy the quilt model and a glimpse of the garden. It's a bit shaming that the pond you can see behind was started almost a year after the quilt!

The pattern is a half log cabin made entirely out of strips of fabric from the Kaffe Fassett collective. Its quilted in a 2 inch grid all over in orange thread and has lightweight Quilters Dream 100% cotton wadding inside which gives it a very nice drape. I haven't measured how big it is but it is made to fit a King Size bed - but not come over the pillows. Here it is in place



And here's the detail

I'm delighted to have completed it and also very pleased with the results. It has been an education in using colour and the differing effects and influences of colours when they are seen in relation to each other. It has also taught me that even though my technique leaves quite a lot to be desired in terms of accuracy the overall effect is really lovely - and a lot can be salvaged by judicious final trimming of squares. I hope you like it too!!




3 comments:

  1. Love your quilt! It looks good both inside and outside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job on it! I love how it looks in the outside shot, but it is just as lovely on your bed. Congratulations for a beautiful, finished quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Celia - glad you like it. I feel like it was worth sticking with it over all that time!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you!